Sunday, February 8, 2009

Adult Education

In this week's meeting, we briefly discussed the desire to set example for kids in terms of physical activity and fitness. People talked about the gym, family outings, etc and it made me think about my dad.

I come from fat. Heavy, big boned, whatever you want to call it. That's what I come from. We were a band of horse thieves in Scotland, and when you have horses, you don't need to jog. This is what spawned us.

15 years ago, my dad had had enough. He decided to get rid of his fat. He, too, started Weight Watchers. This was back when you could follow either Selection Plan or Fat & Fibre. Dad chose F&F and was on his merry way.

In addition to ww, dad also joined a gym. So help me, I still laugh at this because my dad is neither a gym type of person or mechanically inclined. I can just imagine the blue streak uttered as he attempted any sort of workout machinery.

He referred to that place as the Torture Chamber, and with that, I do believe he decided that it was not for him. However, being who he is, he refused to let his money go to waste and he went, if only just to walk around the track.

This is where it started.

After his membership ran out (one of the happiest days of his life, I think), dad started to walk. Each evening after supper, he'd head out for a little while. Soon, this became ritual, eventually it was obsession. Every night, twice daily on weekends. Now, he spends two hours walking in the morning (retirement is nice like that) and sometimes at night. He can cover more distance in those walks than anyone I know. He has certain routes mapped out in his brain for variety and he is out there by hook or by crook. Only an injury or bizarre weather can keep him inside.

He has kept his weight off for those 15 years and this is how he does it. This is so inspiring for me, because I saw the man who introduced me to such delicacies as Peanut Butter and mayonnaise sandwiches, fried bologna, cheeseburger pie and "disgusting stuff from a can night" go from fat to svelt through the power of self-discipline and determination.

He learned new behaviours later in life, just like I'm attempting to do. He had to do a 180 when it came to food, just like me. He had to get his ass off the couch, just like me. If my old man can do it, so can I. I have to find my method of movement, be it walking, swimming, whatever.

Pops has shown me it can be done, even by us lazy peanut butter lovin' horse thieves. There's no way I can let an example like that go to waste.

XO
LB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thusey, where you at?

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter