I had to start somewhere. In my case, that somewhere was the floor.
On Tuesday night, I overcame whatever internal freakout was happening, got in the car and drove to my very first newbie practice with my favourite athletic organization on the planet: The Forest City Derby Girls.
In no way was I expecting a miracle, and I sure as shit didn't work any. I got there and the girls were getting geared up and doing their warm-up skate. I filled out my paperwork, got my gear on and waited for further instruction with a dude who is also interested in being a ref.
Yes, I was nervous, I will not lie. But I was there, and I was ready to give it a shot. Finally Sufferjet called us to get into lines for a knee drop drill.
I dropped when it was my turn. The only problem was, I had no idea how to get back up. 280 lbs with a fused ankle presents a unique logistical dilemma when it comes to hoisting your fat ass off the floor. After several attempts, I received assistance from two of the girls I was finally back on my feet. Completely rattled, but not shaken.
Who fucking cares? That's the thing: NOBODY. Nobody laughed, nobody rolled their eyes, nobody dismissed me. In fact, once I was finally up, all the other girls clapped in support. Only my brain cared that it was happening, that it didn't feel good, and that my ego was temporarily down for the count.
Minutes after the fact, my brain didn't really give a shit anymore. I observed the rest of the fall drills and some stopping ones, one of the more experienced girls have me some pointers off to the side. I eventually wound up taking my skates off and watching the rest of the practice, completely satisfied with my experience of my first night.
Notice, I said "first night", strictly indicating that it will NOT be my last. I'm already thinking about next week and doing what I can in the meantime to help improve myself. This will be a long road, but it's so worth it. It's finally happening.
xo
LB

No comments:
Post a Comment