"Asshole."
That's what I said when I read the number 303.0 on my scale this morning. I'm not sure who the asshole was: partly me, partly the scale itself.
303 wasn't a huge shock, I hadn't been labouring under the delusion that I was a svelt 160lbs. or anything. But shit, man, when you see that number in front of you, it doesn't feel great and someone or something has to bear the brunt of your disappointment. The scale took the hit for me today. Thank you, scale.
I've been on this side of three-oh-oh before, no secret there. When I annihilated my ankle I was tipping the scales at a mighty three-TWO-oh. I lost a solid 80lbs after that orthopedic disaster thanks to a steady diet of soup, rice and painkillers. But I eventually managed to pack most of that weight back on and now, here I am, back on this side of three-oh-oh.
The time has come to change shit up. It's time to get everything under control. It's time to ditch the fucking lard. Sure, it's been faithful to me and stuck around for most of my life. Loyal to the last, this lard of mine. But it's time to go. Drink up, get the fuck out. Later for you, lard.
This week I realized that I am ready to do the work. I'm ready to make the effort and most of all, I'm ready to admit that I cannot do this by myself. I was honest with myself and said "If you could do it on your own, you would have done it by now." Truer words never spoken. If I could lose this weight on my own, I wouldn't be back on this side of three-oh-uh-oh. Simple as that.
So, with this new-found sensibility, I am returning to familiar surroundings, to the program that has garnered results in my previous quests to break-up with the lard. I'm headed back to Weight Watchers. I've had good results with them in the past, but usually had to stop going due to lack of funds. I would try to do the program on my own but sooner than later I would fail due to my lack of self-discipline. Not this time. I am ready to take this seriously, and I am ready to pony up the dough to do it. That's a huge motivator for me to stick to the rules, if I'm shelling out moo-lah for this, I had better make it worth my while.
Yup, I'm ditchin' the lard and you're all coming with me in the form of this blog. I'm going to talk about every step in the process, how I'm winning, how I'm losing, how I'm fucking up, how I'm getting it right, how much I'm hating it, how much I'm loving it. I'm gonna be holding on for dear life some days, and conquering the world the next.
I'm excited. I'm ready. Let's go.
xo
LB

No comments:
Post a Comment