Thursday, July 15, 2010

Journey to the Centre of the Basement

It had to be done. For more than one reason, it had to be done.

The sister that has been handling my laundry while I've been on lockdown hasn't been able to make it over for a couple of weeks, and the pile of laundry has been getting bigger. Mind you, couple the humid heat with the fact that I spend most days completely on my own and it results in my lounging around in my skivvies most days.

However, laundry needed to be done. And I needed to accomplish something.

The whole "screeching halt" of this recovery has been very difficult to deal with. I have a lot of trouble asking people for help. It's a pride and independence thing. I constantly feel like I'm imposing on people even if they offered in the first place. This whole process has done nothing to cure me of that problem, and if anything, it has made it worse.

Yesterday, I decided it was time to get my ass in gear. And I mean that quite literally. I packed up the laundry bag, the phone (I'm stupid, but I'm no moron. I don't want to wind up sprawled out on the floor until someone finds me), I corralled the cats so that they were not able to escape the apartment, and I headed towards the stairs.

Yup, I bummed my way down two flights of stairs toting my laundry and my walker, and despite the grossness of the spiders I encountered, I made it. I chilled out in an old lawn chair while the wash was in and that was that. Then, I had to crawl up the spidery stairs again and got back to my apartment. Let me tell you, as sad as it sounds, I was exhausted.

Beyond the dirt, the spiders and the sweatiness, it was worth it. I gained back a little bit of my independence and got some clean gitch out of it. Not bad for a day's work. AND I get to do it all again to get it all out of the dryer this afternoon. Oh god, the excitement of it all.

In a few weeks, this recovery will move on to the next stage: back to the life more ordinary. Back to work, back to WW, into physio. Not a minute too soon, either. I need to take back control of my life.

xo
lb

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thusey, where you at?

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter